Planning Ahead – Families and Children
Planning Ahead - Family and Children
Family and childrenâ€™s portraits are a gift to yourself, your children and generations to come. Consider who will be in the photograph, who the portraits are for and where they will be displayed. Whether you want casual or formal portraits, candid or traditional, select clothing that support the look you are going for.
Also think about the size of the space in your home you plan to display the portraits in. One large portrait or a collage of smaller ones, be sure to plan ahead and relay your thoughts to the photographer the day of your session so your vision is captured.
Looking Your Best!
- Solid colors look best. Avoid large, bold prints.
- Everyone in the photograph should be dressed in the same style of clothing. Do not mix formal and casual clothing.
- Choose a color theme, and everyone should coordinate from head to toe.
- Make sure to bring complete outfits, as some poses will be full-length.
- Make sure to bring clean, complementary shoes for each outfit.
- Long sleeves are recommended for adults, small children can wear long or short sleeves.
- Inspect each outfit before the day of your session. Check to make sure each article of clothing is pressed, free of stains or snags, and no buttons or closures are broken or missing.
- Make sure hands and nails are clean and trimmed. If using polish, the more natural color, the better. This goes for feet too, especially in sandals or casual barefoot poses.
- Keep jewelry selections modest. Less is more!
- Hair and make up should be kept natural. Make up can be slightly darker than your everyday look for photographs.
- Avoid tan lines or sunburns. Limit sun exposure the week before your session.
- Pets are part of the family too! Animals or any props that have special meaning to you and your family are welcome to be part of the session at no additional charge.
ENVIRONMENTAL SESSION PLANNING
- Dress for the season.
- Solid colored clothing is strongly recommended. Stripes, plaids and prints look even more busy when competing with the textures of the natural surroundings.
- Bright, solid colors look great in the spring and summer.
- Darker or neutral tones look great in the fall.
- Bright or dark colors look great against a snowy background.
- Avoid all white clothing
- Avoid over-styled hair. Wind blown hair can be beautiful if hair moves naturally.
- Many outdoor locations have uneven ground, rocks and/or water. Be prepared to walk around these obstacles, or if you feel adventurous, climb or splash in!
- Bare feet can be fun in the spring and summerâ€”make sure they are clean and manicured.